A good cocktail will set you back around R100 these days, but there’s no need to break the bank for super refreshing sip. Here are 5 simple, interesting cocktail recipes you can make and enjoy at home!
Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
500g fresh strawberries
The juice of ½ a lime
1-2tbsp sugar syrup (optional)
1. Blend the strawberries, then sieve the puree to remove seeds.
2. Place the sieved puree back into the blender with the ice, rum, lime juice and sugar syrup (add to taste).
3. Blend again, divide into two martini glasses and serve!
4 lime wedges
12 mint leaves
1 tsp sugar syrup
Handful of crushed ice
50ml white rum
Beer of choice
1. Squeeze the juice of 3 lime wedges into a tall glass. Drop the squeezed lime wedges into the glass and muddle them (squish ‘em around) using a spoon.
2. Add mint leaves and sugar syrup. Fill the glass with crushed ice, then pour in the rum. Stir using a long spoon to evenly disperse the mint and rum.
3. Top up the glass with beer, garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves.
50ml dark rum
1tsp sugar syrup
Strip of orange peel to garnish
1. Put half the rum, the sugar syrup and bitters into a mixing glass. Add three ice cubes and stir slowly until the outside of the glass feels cold. Add the rest of the rum and a few more ice cubes, then stir to combine.
2. Strain the mixture into an ice-filled tumbler, garnish and serve!
100g caster sugar
2 tbsp coffee liqueur
2 tbsp hot espresso
3 coffee beans to garnish
1. Put the sugar and 100ml water into a pan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Cool before use.
2. Put a handful of ice into a cocktail shaker, then add the vodka, coffee liqueur, hot espresso and 25ml of the sugar syrup you prepared in step 1. Shake for 15-30 seconds, then strain into a chilled martini glass. Top with coffee beans and serve.
200g caster sugar
30ml lemon juice
1 egg white (optional)
1. Put the sugar in a pan with 100ml of water and stir of a low heat until the sugar has dissolved to make your sugar syrup. Allow to cool.
2. Put the gin, lemon juice, 1tbsp of sugar syrup and egg white into a cocktail shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
3. Strain into a chilled tall glass and top with sparkling water. Garnish with a lemon slice and serve!